Monday, March 28, 2011

A good dose of perspective

Last week, I completed a virtual, half marathon. The running was real (over the course of a few days) but the competition was virtual. My final time was 3:19:04. This gives me a good idea of where I'm starting at and will be point to compare against when M and I run the Disney Princess Half Marathon next February. Saturday was our first "long run" in working towards the 10k-3.6 miles. I did NOT want to do it. I think I had psyched myself out. I still struggle with the concept that if you're not running the entire time then you're failing. M pointed out to me that our original intent of starting running was to become fit and healthy and that some exercise, even walking half of the distance, is what we set out to do. This made me feel infinitely better! I think I was so caught up in the training plan that I forgot that the intent of signing up to run a race was so it gave us something to work towards, not to focus on being competitive. I'm so lucky to have such a great husband who keeps me grounded!

No comments:

Post a Comment